Course: Business Economics Internal Assignment Applicable for April 2019 Examination
1.What are the important characteristics of an indifference curve.Suppose a consumer’sdisposable income is Rs.5,000/- per week and she has a choice of spending the incomeon concerts and meals.Assume meal is available for Rs.250/- each and concerts areavailable for Rs.500/- each.Prepare a table of possible combinations of meals andconcerts that could be bought with the income.What is your observation about the values in the table?
2.Find below the data for price elasticity and income elasticity of demand for 5 different commodities.Interpret the values in the table in the light of Whether the demand is elastic or inelastic for each of the commodities and why What do you mean by negative income elastic demand in case of commodity 3 Give example for each type of commodity.Commodity Price Elasticity of demand Income elasticity of demand 1 -0.3 +0.6 2 -1.45 +5.60 3 -5.09 -1.67 4 -0.7 +0.8 5 1.0 +1.0
3 a) “Different prices can be charged by the producer in the different market segments to maximize revenue.” Explain the statement by taking a case of aviation industry.
3 b) What do you mean by price rigidity? Which type of market structure is characterized by the price rigidity? Explain your views taking an example of industry facing the problem of price rigidity.
Course: Information Systems for Managers Internal Assignment Applicable for April 2019 Examination
1.Customers show interest towards a specific brand, depending on the experience offered by the brand. However, sometimes, the brands fail to meet the customer expectations. Thus, most companies have made improving customer experience their top priority. They are currently relying on using data to understand their customers. It is imperative for brands to rapidly translate their customer insights into actions, lest they lose the business opportunity. How are retailers capitalizing on user’s data and using data analytics to improve their retail experience in store?
2.The healthcare industry is the furthest along in cloud adoption, compared to the financial services industry and the energy and utilities industry. You are invited by a private hospital to advise them on deployment of cloud. The hospital is very keen to reduce total cost of ownership, increase scalability and provide better collaboration to all the stakeholders. From that perspective, it is evaluating the use of cloud and the right choice for the deployment model. You are required to provide a brief report explaining pros and cons of each cloud deployment model for adopting cloud for its operations.
3. Mounting digitization and connectivity have led to a rise in cybercrime. With employees often plugged into insecure Wi-Fi networks and using their own devices, business data is increasingly vulnerable. As cyber-attacks become more sophisticated, data breaches are growing in size and frequency. The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) estimates that digital crime and intellectual property (IP) theft currently cost between US$375b and US$575b per year — eclipsing the annual GDP of most nations. Although a portion of cyber threats come from “hacktivistis”, the most concerning threat for financial institutions is from organised cybercrime. Banks must consider their options and opportunities now. You have recently been appointed as the Chief Security Officer (CSO) at a private bank.
a. What measures will you take to ensure the security of the systems at the bank is not compromised?
b. How would you educate your customers to prevent them from being a victim to cyber crime?
Course: Management Theory and Practice Internal Assignment Applicable for April 2019 Examination
Case:M/s TrackUs Courier is a well-established courier company in India.The company has been doing exceptionally well after the emergence of online business.Small and Mid-Sized organisation prefer TrackUs as their services are available at lower cost.The company follows traditional practices for all its operation.There are no computerised system to track the packages, billing, petty cash, financial statements, etc.Every process has to go through multiple steps to implement a single decision.The company has rigid manual processes for completing any work.The company was able to handle limited customers with the traditional processes but with the ever increasing customer base there is need to redesign the system.The company needs to get the best infrastructure and information system which can handle the large customer base.The directors feel there is no need to spend on the IT systems.Also, the employees might feel insecure with the new technology and systems.The directors are not sure whether they will be able to handle the new technology.They have made a note of all the concerns and now they have hired you as a consultant to advise them on various matters.
1.Suggest TrackUs Courier any seven Henry Fayols principle with reasons so that the same can applied in the organisation to improve the effectiveness.
2.Advise the company any five latest technology that can be implemented in the organisation to improve the overall process.
3.a) What are the various resistance that an employee can show during the change processin TrackUs Courier?
3.b) Advise the directors with detail explanation any two leadership styles that would be feasible for TrackUs courier.
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Management Theory and Practice Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
Case: M/s Chai ki pyaali is a new startup serving hot tea to customers. The company has 30 different varieties of tea and it also sells food items that adds more revenue to the overall profit. The company has a unique cup design and the store layout and design is vintage. The company has opened 50 stores across India and has a plan to open 100 more stores in another two years. The expansion plan is in place and the execution needs to be monitored. The Chai ki pyaali head office is in Mumbai. Mr. Shravan is the person who started the tapri (small road side sales booth) business and is now the owner of Chai ki pyaali chain. All the employees are very happy with Shravan and his managing skills. Before taking any decision he consults all his managers. He shares his ideas with them and also loves to hear their ideas too. He is always keen on learning new modern management principles and practices. Mr. Shravan hires you as a Business Manager so that the modern day management practices can be implemented properly. 1. How will you implement 5S in Chai ki Pyaali stores across India which will improve the overall efficiency of the organisation? (10 Marks) 2. Explain various social responsibilities that this business will have towards interest groups? (10 Marks) 3. Based on the case given: a. Identify any five Henry Fayol principles that can be implemented in the Chai ki Pyaali business. (5 Marks) b. Explain any three types of leadership styles and identify the leadership style adopted by Mr. Shravan. (5 Marks) ***********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Organisational Behaviour Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
1. The manager must praise an employee in public and censure in private. Discuss this statement with the help of Albert Bandura’s Social Learning Theory.
2. The Trait theory of leadership asserts that leaders are born not made. According to these theories leaders have common personal or behavioural characteristics accounting for leadership effectiveness. Do you agree with the same? Support your answer with proper justification for the same. Conclude by expressing which theory explains leadership the best. (10 Marks) 3. Karan is an HR Manager and his team comprises of 6 members excluding him. Everyone in his team has extremely congenial relations to the extent that during brainstorming session they blatantly support each other. Though it is a sign of a close knit team but Karan feels that this kind of extreme harmony is killing the creativity of the team. Karan wants some kind of spur in the team’s creativity. Karan is in a dilemma. a. Suggest any two methods of stimulating functional conflict in Karan’s team. (5 Marks) b. In case the conflict becomes dysfunctional, also suggest two methods through which Karan can manage the same (dysfunctional conflict). (5 Marks) **********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Marketing Management Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
1. Assume you plan to purchase a new car for personal use. This will be the first car that you will be purchasing. Discuss various steps of consumer buying process that will be involved in purchasing a car.
2. M/s Furnideas wishes to sell furniture in the Indian Market. The company is known for their innovative ideas in furniture. The company has a global presence in selling furniture. The company sells to High, Middle and Lower Income group in different countries based on the segmentation. Furnideas appoints you as a consultant to guide them on types of segmentation that they should use for their furniture. (10 Marks) 3. M/s Furnideas (as given in question 2) wants to promote its brand and products to create awareness and increase the sale of its products a. Explain various promotion mix tools that you will use for M/s Furnideas to create awareness about the brand and products. (5 Marks) b. Explain any three online marketing tools that you will use to increase the sale for M/s Furnideas. (5 Marks) **********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Business Economics Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
1. “In the monopolistic competition, a few firms sell differentiated products” Explain this statement by highlighting important features of this kind of a market. Substantiate your answer by a live example. Also explain how the equilibrium in this kind of a market is different from a long run equilibrium under perfect competition.
2. Complete the hypothetical table below and explain in brief, the behaviour of each type of cost. (10 Marks) Quantity Total Fixed Cost Total Variable Cost Total Cost Average Fixed Cost Average Variable Cost Average Total Cost Marginal Cost 0 0 1 25 2 40 3 50 4 60 5 100 80 6 110 7 150 8 300 9 500 10 900 3. a) What are the practical uses of the concept of price elasticity of demand for different stakeholders in the production process? (5 Marks) b) Distinguish between the shift and movement in the demand curve. Explain any five factors which would bring about a shift in the demand curve for Maggie noodles. (5 Marks) **********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Financial Accounting & Analysis Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
1. An investor wants to tests the financial position of Asian Paints Ltd. Thus, he wants to assess the short term liquidity as well as long term solvency. Discuss the four relevant ratio’s which he will definitely look into.
2. Discuss the components of Other Income under the statement of Profit and Loss accounts of any Indian Corporate. How other income is different from revenue from normal operations under the vertical format. (10 Marks) 3. The following information is provided by a dealer in computer chips. The dealer follows FIFO method for valuing stock, calculate from the following figures – Date particulars April 1, 2019 Opening stock 750 chips @Rs1550 per chip Purchases April 10, 2019 1000 chips @Rs1750 per chip April 20, 2019 1650 chips @ Rs1875 per chip Sales April 15, 2019 900 chips @Rs3000 per chip April 16, 2019 1950 chips @ Rs 3250 per chip a) Cost of goods available for sale (5 Marks) b) Gross profit (5 Marks) **********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Information System for Managers Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
Today companies are using various touch-points to interact with their customers constantly. These customers are responsible for spreading electronic word-of mouth thereby influencing others. You’re the owner of Snackathon, a subscription service that delivers snacks to homes and offices. Snackathon partners with grocers and other businesses and also sells directly to consumers. As an organization that has traditionally been dealing with customer’soffline, you realize the need to move online and dive deeper into analytics that help you understand why your customers left, if they’re thinking about leaving, and how you can work to keep them on board. What are the pros and cons of using analytics to engage with customers effectively? Justify your standpoint. (10 Marks)
2. 10 Street Café is a chain you have started from scratch a few years ago. After breaking even, recently your cafés are gaining popularity and you are expanding your business. The growth is rapid and your staff seems unprepared for the increase in volume of customers and managing the interactions smoothly. On hiring a consultant to help you improve your customer experience, he recommends to invest in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system. As a consultant, how would you point out the benefits of CRM system to the client and highlight points to ponder before and during the implementation of such a system? (10 Marks)
3. Technology at the dining table (apps like Uber Eats, Swiggy, Zomato) is gaining firmer ground in India. Placing orders for food online is popular, especially among millennials, leading food delivery platforms to embrace analytics in a big way to better read fast-changing consumer behavior, minimize errors and enhance customer experiences. The primary reasons for this growing popularity can be attributed to the rise in the number of digital natives, improved internet connectivity, competitive pricing, quick delivery, variety of restaurants on-board, simple user interface and availability across different platforms.
a. How do you think these companies use analytics to give customers a great experience, unlock business growth and drive operational efficiency? (5 Marks) b. Define Social Media and explain how these companies use Social Media to increase their business? Is it a wise choice to use social media to connect with customers? (5 Marks) **********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Business Communication and Etiquette Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
1. Slipkart.com has put up billboards across the main, arterial roads of Mumbai. The billboards advertise the Mega Independence Day Sale coming up. They hope their billboards can grab the attention of drivers and pedestrians on these busy roads. List the 8-steps in the Basic Communication Model and apply the model to Slipkart.com’s billboard ad. (10 Marks)
2. You are the customer service manager for OmYoga.com, an online store selling Yoga apparel. A customer has written an angry email complaining that the Yoga leggings she purchased a month ago have shrunk and the colour has faded. She mentioned that she machine-washed her leggings and dried them in a drier. Your website clearly mentions that the leggings can only be hand-washed and should not be put in the drier. She is asking for a replacement or a complete refund of Rs. 3000. How would you respond to this complaint? Draft an email. (10 Marks) 3. Digital communication technologies are changing the face of business communication. Explain: a. Engaging content for Social Media (5 Marks) b. Pros and cons of Instant Messaging (5 Marks) **********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Essentials of HRM Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
1. Mazbooti Pvt Ltd is a civil engineering firm doing projects in buildings, roads, bridges, Flyovers etc. Recently they have bagged a lot of projects for which they require Graduate Trainee Engineers as well as Diploma Trainee Engineers in huge numbers. What could be the method of recruitment in such scenario? Discuss any two methods of recruitment for such high numbers also conclude by choosing the best method. (10 Marks)
2. As per various researches it is reported that simulations are one of the most effective way of training. Discuss this statement with the help of strong supporting justifications and examples. Also conclude by suggesting any other form of training which can be considered to be as strong as simulations. (10 Marks) 3. Kaira is working as an Assistant Manager –Marketing from past five years in an FMCG company. She is a very hard working and dedicated employee. Her performance has also been good consistently. She is one of the deserving employee who never got her fair share of success. From past five years she has not got a single promotion because of which she is contemplating to resign. She communicated the same to Mohit who is her reporting authority. Mohit apprises this to the top management and even gives cues that because of lack of career planning their organisation is in a verge of losing an important talent. Sanjay, the Operations Head on the other hand is totally against the idea of Career planning. a. Mohit is asked to prepare a list of merits of Career planning. Help him prepare the same. (5 Marks) b. Sanjay opposes Mohit with his list of demerits on the career planning. Mention all the pros and cons of career planning and highlight who is right, Mohit or Sanjay? (5 Marks) **********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Strategic Management Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
Case: M/s Ximi wants to enter in the washing machine and refrigerator market in India. The company has earned a lot of reputation in the global market. The company is known for low priced segment and delivers the best quality. The service is the best in the world. The response time to customer problems is less than 24 hours.
1. The CEO appoints you as a consultant to analyze the external environment for the Ximi Brand. Analyze. (10 Marks) 2. Discuss the various types of business models and suggest the one that should be implemented by M/s Ximi for their product launch in India. Explain the same with reason. (10 Marks) 3. a. Explain various functional strategies that M/s Ximi can adopt to improve and maximize the resource productivity. (5 Marks) 3. b. Explain any five CSR activities that the company should undertake in India to benefit its stakeholders. (5 Marks) **********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Business Law Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
1. List out the exemptions under which information can be denied under the Right to Information Act, 2005. (10 Marks) 2. Explain two (2) instances in which the consumer courts in India have given directions/orders awarding reliefs in respect to defect of goods/deficiency of service.Each instance should in detail explain (i) facts of the case and (ii) what relief and damages the consumer courts has granted. (10 Marks) 3. Karan and Arjun had entered into a contract where Karan was to supply 50,000 phones to Arjun within 2 months from the date of signing of contract. Karan was to procure the phones from China and deliver the same to Arjun. The rate of the phone was Rs. 5000/- a piece (inclusive of all taxes and duties). At the time of the execution of the contract, the duty was at 5% (five percent). Immediately after the execution of the Agreement, India had increased the duties to 1000% (one thousand percent). Therefore, Karan was finding it difficult to sell the phones at the price agreed earlier. In the circumstances, kindly advice: a. How can Karan discharge such a contract? (5 Marks) b. How can Arjun enforce such a contract? (5 Marks) **********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Cost & Management Accounting Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
1. The roles and responsibilities of accounts manager are different from cost manager as both the types of accounting differs from each other. Prepare a presentation highlighting the points of difference between financial accounting and cost accounting. (10 Marks)
2.Discuss any five costs other than the accounting costs, with suitable example, which are usually taken into consideration by managers for financial decision making. (10 Marks) 3. The following information is available about a product for the month of June 2019. Material Purchased 24000 kgs@ 105600 Material consumed 22800 kgs Actual wages paid for 5940 hours Rs 29700 Units produced 2160 Standard rates and prices are as follows Direct material cost Rs4 per unit Direct labour cost Rs4 per hour Standard input 10kg for one unit Based on the data and information, calculate relevant- a. Material variances (5 Marks) b. Labour variances (5 Marks) **********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Corporate Finance Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
1. Hyperlocal startups had a maximum pie of the private equity and venture capital (PE/VC) funding last year. Discuss how arranging venture capital from the venture capitalist differs from Equity financing. (10 Marks)
2. The finance department of Parshwanath Corporation gathered following information- The carrying cost per unit of inventory is Rs10 The cost per order is Rs20 The number of units required is 50000 per year The variable cost per unit ordered is Rs5 The purchase price per unit is Rs50 (10 Marks) Define the concept of EOQ, its relevance, determine the EOQ and the time gap between two orders.
3. The expected cash flows of a project are as follows Year Cash Flows 0 -150000 1 20000 2 30000 3 40000 4 50000 5 30000 The cost of capital is 12% Discuss and Calculate
a. NPV for the project (5 Marks)
b. Future value of benefits when compounded @12 % (5 Marks) ***********
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA-SCE) Course: Marketing of Financial Services Internal Assignment Applicable for June 2019 Examination
1. Develop a Service Marketing Mix (using 8 Ps) for an Asset Management Company (Mutual Fund) of your choice. (10 Marks)
2. One of your clients wants to apply for a Home Loan in the next 12 to 18 months. Few years back the client had lost his job and delayed his credit card payments. The client is worried that this may impact his credit score maintained by Credit Bureaus. Suggest a roadmap to your client to improve his credit score. (10 Marks) 3. You are a Financial Planner. Your client Raj Shah aged 36 years works with a Pharmaceutical company. His wife Pooja works part time with a NGO. They have one daughter Ritu aged 4 years. The couple requires your help to make some financial decisions. (You can make any assumptions to further build up your case.) a. Raj wants to buy a Pure Risk Life Insurance cover. He is confused whether he should buy a ULIP, Endowment or a Term Plan. Recommend the product best suited for him giving valid reasons. (5 Marks) b. Raj and Pooja want your help to invest for Ritu’s higher education which they estimate would be required after 15 years. (5 Marks) **********